SOUTH ASIAN LANGUAGES AND CULTURES (HINDI)
- Hindi: 111, 112 (or 151) - whether by coursework or placement.
Required courses (18 Credits)
- Intro to Islamic Civilization (or another civilization course with advisor approval).
- 9 credit units from or 200, 300, or 400 level courses in Hindi language.
- 6 credit units from 300 or 400 level courses in South Asian studies or South Asian literature and culture.
- Students are encouraged to take courses distributed in each of the following areas: Literature and culture, history, and religion
- Senior Thesis writers should sign up for an appropriate 3 credit course in the fall and in the spring. (The 6 credits can be applied to the primary area of study).
- Student enrolled in Washington University study abroad programs during the regular academic semester can earn a maximum of 9 credits subject to review by their advisor and the DUS. Summer programs and transfer courses can be granted as many as 6 credits subject to review by their advisor and the DUS. A limit of 9 credits in total can be applied to the major, whether the credits are earned in study abroad, summer programs, or transfer credit. For more information on preapproved study abroad programs, please visit the Overseas Programs website: http://overseas.wustl.edu/study-abroad.
- No credit will be given for courses taken outside the department other than those which are cross-listed.
- To be eligible to write a senior thesis, a student must maintain a GPA of 3.65 through the sixth semester.
- Students must maintain an average of B in all courses for the major. A grade of B- must be earned in each language course in order to advance to the next level.
- No course taken pass/fail can count toward either the prerequisites or the major.